- 14 – Christmas is our biggest event of the year at the Neighbourhood Centre and this year was no exception. Thanks to our donors and volunteers Christmas 2014 will be remembered by many of our clients as a happy one. So many did so much to help.
- Sharon MacCrimmon and her team brought in boxes and more boxes of stockings to be given to children in our community.
- Linda Mash and Melanie Brown and their friends donated mounds of toys.
- Feed the Need Durham provided us with Christmas hampers. Keller Williams donated hampers with turkeys while Linda and John Mash donated chickens.
- New Life church donated a tree laden with scarves, mittens, and hats from which the children had fun selecting their favourite.
- Our many volunteers spent time sorting and labeling the gifts and hampers. Others prepared the meal by spending long hours cooking and baking and still others served Christmas dinner to more than 300 clients on December 14. Oh, don’t forget the beautiful way the hall was decorated.Altogether Christmas was made special for someone. Thanks for sharing God’s blessing with those in need. View the pictures below of some of the activities that took place during the event.
- 30 – Nerds on Site held their annual food drive called “Fill the Beetle” in support of the Neighbourhood Centre at Agostino & Nancy’s No Frills in Oshawa. Thanks to Brad Coloma and his team for their amazing effort. Do you think they filled the Beetle?
On Sunday, October 19, just before another wonderful pancake breakfast was served, volunteers got together to bid farewell to the Centre’s longest serving volunteer – Bonnie Parsons. She has been serving the community through the Neighbourhood Centre for over 10 years and has been a blessing to many. We wish her all the best as she moves away to be with family.
- 23 – Our Annual Community BBQ was held on Saturday, August 23 in the parking lot of the New Life Church at 33 Olive Avenue in Oshawa. Several dignitaries were on hand for the ribbon cutting ceremony and dedication of the newly renovated kitchen and accessibility upgrades. They included: Gary Hodder – Executive Secretary of the Ontario Headquarters of the SDA Church; Shane Kelly – Executive Assistant to MP Colin Carrie; Bruce Wood – Oshawa Councillor; John Henry – Oshawa Mayor; Jennifer French – Oshawa MPP; Bob Chapman – Oshawa Councillor; Julien LeBourdais – Executive Director of Feed the Need in Durham; Frank Dell’Erba – Pastor of New Life SDA Church; and Ann Thompson – Director of the New Life Neighbourhood Centre. Despite the overcast conditions the rain held up and hundreds of Oshawa residents came out to enjoy the BBQ prepared by the volunteers of the Centre as well as the great music presented by the New Life Praise Band. Browse the images below. Also visit Snap Oshawa’s website for more on the event.
[Not a valid template]
- 29 – “Cooking with Will” begins. Our own Chef Will holds a cooking class on the last Tuesday of each month beginning at 7:00 pm. This class is focused on cooking delicious and nutritious meals on a budget. All are welcome but space is limited so call the Centre at 905-404-2004 to let us know you would like to attend.
- 2 – Meal box distribution resumes
24 – NLNC volunteers awarded for service
For over 20 years the Government of Ontario has honoured volunteers through the Ontario Volunteer Service Awards. This award is presented to volunteers who contribute consecutive years of service to a single group within Ontario. On Monday, March 24, at a special ceremony held at Deer Creek Golf and Banquet Facility in Ajax, the following New Life Neighborhood Centre volunteers were recognized with awards for their consistent and ongoing years of volunteer service to our community: Mike Pepping (5yrs), Christine Pepping (5yrs), Danielle Martin (youth), Tahisha Scoon-Allan (youth), Keona Athanas (youth), Tony Martin (5yrs), and Bonnie Parson not in picture (10yrs ). Also pictured with the group is Jerry Ouellette, MPP Oshawa and Frank Dell’Erba, Pastor of the New Life Church. On behalf of our New Life family we extend our congratulations! and God’s continual blessing as they continue to minister to others!
- 16 – Pancake Breakfast and Distribution of Care Packages to the homeless
- 22 – Volunteer Appreciation Day. A special service was held at the New Life Church to honour our donors, supporters and volunteers. Certificates of appreciation were handed out and scrolls of appreciation were also presented to volunteers by Shane Kelly on behalf of Colin Carrie, MP – Oshawa. The service was followed by a special lunch.
- 11 – Continental Breakfast
- 19 – Pancake Breakfast