Hunger is an ongoing challenge for many in Canada. According to Food Banks Canada’s Hunger Count report for 2014, over 840,000 Canadians turn to food banks every month. More than 36% of those were children. Oshawa is no exception and in many ways the numbers are greater compared to other communities across the country.
In 2014 the New Life Neighbourhood Centre continued its efforts to help the less fortunate in Oshawa and surrounding communities by providing services to as many clients as it could. For a small food bank it:
- served 2236 pancake and continental breakfasts
- distributed over 1200 personal hygiene packages
- distributed 60 care packages to homeless individuals during the winter
- distributed groceries to 366 households (1347 adults and 534 children)
- served over 500 meals at our annual BBQ
- served over 350 meals at our Christmas Dinner
- distributed over 300 toys and Christmas stockings
The people helped included families with children, employed people whose wages are not sufficient to cover basic living essentials, individuals on social assistance, and Canadians living on a fixed income including people with disabilities, and seniors. Thanks to all our volunteers, donors and supporters for helping us to make a difference for many who would otherwise go hungry.
The New Life Neighbourhood Centre is operated completely by volunteers and relies on the goodwill of donors and supporters for its operation. In order to continue providing the services we offer we conduct various food drives and food bank fundraising events.
You can help us help our less fortunate neighbours by:
- donating money to purchase supplies for the food bank,
- participating in our food drives,
- sponsoring a family,
- attending and supporting our fundraising events, or
- volunteering your time at the Centre or at our events.
All of our staff are unpaid volunteers. Our volunteers come from the congregation of the New Life Seventh-day Adventist Church, as well as other faith communities, and concerned people in the Durham area. They all have in common a desire to help the less fortunate people in the area.
Please contact us if you would like to become a volunteer.